Tuesday, May 10, 2011

In Honor Of Mother's Day

I know the title of this post is a little late in coming but for some reason or another, I had no words to say this Mother's Day.  I wasn't sad, I wasn't mad, I wasn't jealous,  I wasn't thankful, I wasn't much of anything.  I kind of felt a bit numb to all things Mother's Day.  I'm usually the sappy one who makes tear-filled remarks about the loss of my mom or thanks those who helped me grow up after my mom died.  I was a bit apathetic to it all.  BUT that has since ceased, and here are my 10 things that I've learned from my mom, my aunt, my former co-workers, my friends, etc.  All whom are mothers, past, present, and future.

1. If you've got a freak flag, let it fly.  There's probably a really good reason why you don't fit in, its because you weren't meant to.  You may not figure it out for a while but when you do, you'll know.
2. Love what you do and do what you love, don't spend your life doing anything else.
3. My mom taught me to cook, my aunt taught me to love it and everyone else makes me keep loving it by loving what I cook and encouraging me to do more.
4. It's OK to cry, but sometimes you just need to pull up your big-girl pants and move on.
5. Strength can be obtained, found, borrow, felt and/or shared.
6. Laugh.  A.  Lot.  Like an obscene amount.  Even if you're laughing at yourself.  Laughing is awesome.
7. Love a lot, and fiercely too.
8. My mom taught me that a good song cranked up too loud with your windows down driving too fast, can cure any bad day or bad mood.
9. Honestly and humility are two invaluable traits to have.
10. Don't regret anything.  Don't regret those nights you got too drunk, that failing grade you got, that boy you did or didn't kiss, the things you did or didn't say, the people you didn't get to know, the money you wasted, the people you lost touch with, being angry, or that horrendous outfit you wore.   If you learn something from every experience, then there's no reason to regret it, embrace it and move forward.  

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all of the mothers I know, have known or will know.

No comments:

Post a Comment